Unity’s 5 basic principles provide a simple, yet profound, framework upon which to build both spiritual understanding and a program of spiritual practices. These basic principles can be stated as follows:
- There is only one Presence and one Power active as the Universe and in my life. God the Good.
- Our essence is of God; therefore we are inherently good. This God essence was fully expressed in Jesus, the Christ.
- We are co-creators with God, creating reality through thoughts held in Mind.
- Through prayer and meditation, we align our heart-mind with God. Denials and affirmations are tools we use.
- Through thoughts, words, and actions, we live the Truth we know.
Unity is sometimes referred to as practical spirituality—a way of living, thinking and behaving that expresses God in action. Practicing these principles radically improves our perspective of life events, and gives us the means to be co-creators of our Earthly experience.
As we begin this new year, USC is focusing on the 5th principle, sometimes called the action step. Through our Sunday lessons, the Vision Board Workshop on January 14th, and the guided hands-on exercises we share, we will have the opportunity to tune in to the power of ruling our minds and deepening our understanding of God at work in our world.
We share below an example of affirmations written by Myrtle Fillmore, Unity’s co-founder, to be used at bedtime.
I AM STATEMENT
I am health, strength, peace, happiness, and prosperity.
The Spirit of God, which is active in me, flows through my body in a purifying, cleansing, healing stream that removes all obstructions and brings peace, health, and harmony to my body.
I am well, strong, and vital.
I am beautiful, peaceful and poised.
I am eternally youthful.
I am buoyant, happy, and free.
I shall rise in the morning, filled with energy, radiance, and the power to accomplish whatever I find to do.
We invite you to tryout Myrtle’s I AM Statement, and the other spiritual tools presented over the upcoming weeks, and to share your questions and results in our Circle Service on the 4th Sunday of the month.
The power of Unity’s teachings resides in their practice. We take advantage of these simple steps as we co-create this new year and new decade.